MySpankingForum.com  

Go Back   myspankingforum.com Forums > Off-Topic

Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 PM
rangerboy

Interests - Hobbies Besides Spanking

Hey Gang,

Well I can safely assume that all of the marvelous guys and gals on this forum share one interest in common....but beside spanking, what are your interests? What kinds of things do you enjoy?

I love to go to the gym and get a good workout...fortunately for me, the fitness center is four blocks from home...I'm there by 5:30 a.m. for a half hour on the bike...then on the way home from work, another half hour on weights.

Reading is a big interest....wife and I love mysteries...she's re-learning Spanish so she reads some romance novels in that language. I'm a huge history buff so any history stuff fiction or non-fiction is on the reading list.

My new bride (last March....1st anniversary is coming up) bought a new home and we're having fun (and going broke) fixing it up.

I used to have boxer dogs but two of them are in doggie heaven now and the third went with the ex in a divorce but I love to raise them...they are almost human-like.

Movies....well I could spend my next life in the movie theater....I love good flicks....especially old black and white classics.

Okay...enough about me....what do some of the rest of you like to do between spankings?????

rangerboy
Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy View Post
Okay...enough about me....what do some of the rest of you like to do between spankings???
In no certain order:

I like nature, hiking, and camping, and it comes out in severel different ways. I used to be a big hiker, going on overnight/multiple night treks deep into the wilderness, in addition to day hikes. An ambition of mine is to do a through hike of the Appalachian Trail, north to south. In the past 20 years or so, though, my hiking activity has been much reduced, though I still do get out a few times a year for some kind of day trip into the woods. (It doesn't mean I've given up camping, the form has just changed, as you'll see below.)

Photography is a big pursuit. The past three years I've snapped about 20,000 digital pics a year, though this past year the number will be down considerably. I do unique photos, pictures in nature that I like, events (not professionally, but ones which are part of my life), holidays, everyday living life pics for anything that we do, and more. I also have some experience at video editing and will be emphasizing more of that aspect in the future.

I love history! I wallow in history. There's almost nothing historical that I won't do: go to museums, go to historical sites, watch history on television, collect historically accurate movies, read history mags.

And then, a spin-off of this general interest is my main hobby: I'm a living history reenactor. I portray an American Civil War era (1861-65) cavalry soldier, primarily in the Confederate (Southern) army, but also the Union (Northern) army. Sarah, who is also a history reenactor, and I go to quite a few events each year at which reenactors gather, live the lifestyle for a weekend, and participate in a number of events, ranging from battle reenactments, to period ballroom dances to music of the era, to lady's teas, and more. As part of doing this, we actually put up a tent (also authentic to the period) and camp out all weekend, with a nice campfire to keep us warm while we sit outside and talk to late hours of the evening under starry skies unmarred by city lights (in most cases). Most often, though, Sarah sleeps in the tent at night while I will put a saddle blanket out on the ground by the fire and sleep there, using my saddle for a pillow. That's the way cavalry soldiers spent the great majority of their nights during the war. Sometimes, if I'm keeping a closer eyey on the horses, I'll put my blanket down near them.

A related interest that takes me over into the movie interest hobby is military history. As Sarah can tell you, whenever I'm watching TV about 95% of my time is spent on The Military Channel. And while I like to collect movies (my interests tend to be narrow rather than wide), by far the largest genre that I have are war movies. In fact, I keep them segregated to the other side of the TV console in their own rack so that they are easily and quickly accessible.

And another history-related interest that I have is genealogy. I have researched and studied my family to great depth, having pushed some lines back many centuries. I also catalog all of the living relatives, and collect stories, both great and routine, of my family. Some day I plan to write a pretty comprehensive account of my family's history and even if I do say so, it's quite an active and interesting history, from documented gunfights back in the 1800s, to a very famous name or two, to some interesting connections in history. I'm known throughout my family as the guru of our family's detailed history.

Science has been an interest from my earliest years. I buried myself in the study of science from my earliest contact through my college years, finishing with a heavy minor in biology (my original major), including significant study in human health, physiology, genetics, and virology. I significantly helped my first wife through her nursing school careers. I probably studied her courses more than she did. I later landed in a highly technical career for a few years that I dearly loved and greatly miss today, in the nuclear field. I still stay in touch with it today, browsing bookmarked sites that discuss aspects around nuclear energy generation, reactor physics and operations, heat transfer and energy transformations and cycles, and more. I love astronomy and the stars. I can walk outside and recognize and name most of the constellations, and point out and name many of the stars in the sky, as well as know the history behind them, the myths and how they came by their names, and what they meant to the ancients and those who came before us. When I was a kid one of my dreams was to be an astronaut, and I pursued that dream avidly until my eyesight started going bad in junior high school. (I read the entire set of World Book encyclopedias when I was a kid, sometimes staying up late at night to do it. That may have been a big contributor to my bad eyes!)

I used to be a voracious reader, consuming the materials mentioned above, as well as hard science fiction. However, my life has become so busy that there just hasn't been time in recent years, so I confine most of my reading to hard history or current news. I'll confess to a little quirk. I keep reading material in the seat beside me on the car. I hate sitting at traffic lights, or in a traffic slowdown, and so keep something that when the car stops I can pick up and make good use of my time with. I've read through several books this way. I usually do this with history books, reference books, or a foreign language book because they can be taken in smaller bites without losing much of the context of the story.

I have been working for several years to learn a foreign language. I have a collection of books, shorter materials, and audio resources that I can listen to on an MP3 player while driving to help advance my mastery.

I like classical poetry. I have many poems memorized, so that I can "read" them at my leisure at times that are particularly appropriate. For example, I've been camping, as noted above, and have watched a gorgeous moonrise come up over a body of water. When it does I can recite aloud the words from Longfellow's Hiawatha's Childhood, which contains:

"Saw the moon rise from the water,
Rippling, rounding from the water,
Saw the flecks and shadows on it..."

Or when at one of my events, the stirring words from Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, or when considering the impact of war Sandburg's Grass, or McCrae's In Flanders Fields, or Seeger's dark I Have A Rendezvous With Death, or when thinking about the passages of life something short but meaningful like Stevenson's Requiem, or when deeply reflecting on the meaning of life and it's transience Shelley's Ozymandias, or ... ok, I got carried away with that one. Don't be worried. If we ever meet I won't hit you with a bunch of poetry. I almost never share it with others. But I will say that having it in your head for recall and enjoyment without being tied to the written page gives it a depth, meaning, and fulfillment that cannot be achieved otherwise.

And, finally, of course, there is THIS special interest! But, of course, you knew that.

Now you can see why Sarah might get exasperated from time to time living with me.

And if that was way more than you wanted to know, I apologize.

Last edited by RG_; 01-13-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM
rangerboy

Other Interests

Whooaaaaa.... RG,

You've got a ton of interests. I love poetry too... I especially like Alan Seeger...ah, he died so young. Did you know that was Pete Seeger's (folksinger) uncle?

You must love Band of Brothers....one of the greatest war movie series of all time.

I'm very interested in the Spanish Civil War....I've even met a few of the vets...all in their 90's now.

You've got a full and rich life my friend.

rb
Old 01-13-2007, 07:00 PM

I started collecting comics in 1979. I still collect today, though I'm trying to quit. It's too expensive at $3 an issue and my apartment just doesn't have enough room for them. My favorite writers are Frank Miller and Peter David. And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Ghost Rider in February.

I have a PS2 and a Nintendo Wii, but I hardly ever get to play because of my work schedule and the amount of time I spend here online

I get my exercise through pilates. It works Been doing it for four years now and I'm closer to a six pack than I ever was in my whole life. If i could lay off the 2-liter-a-day Pepsi habit, I'd be there by now.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Congrats folks. We now have 800 members on this site.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=rangerboy;2160]I especially like Alan Seeger...ah, he died so young.

Yes, he was one of three famous poets to die in WW1, the other two being John McRae, whom I mentioned, and Joyce Kilmer, who wrote, among other works, Trees.

Quote:
Did you know that was Pete Seeger's (folksinger) uncle?
Not a clue! I'm glad that you told me that. I forget which battle -- I think it was a minor action within a larger campaign--but Alan Seeger died during a charge in an attack, probably from machine gun fire. Given the content and nature of his poem that I mentioned, it makes the poem even more meaningful for me.

Quote:
You must love Band of Brothers....one of the greatest war movie series of all time.
You've got that right! It's just absolutely outstanding. It's in my collection, of course. I would love to see a work of that quality do the same thing with a Civil War regiment, i.e. trace it's entire war history, from formation through the end of the war.

Quote:
I'm very interested in the Spanish Civil War....I've even met a few of the vets...all in their 90's now.
Isn't that an interesting conflict? It seems almost lost to modern consciousness regarding history, I suppose because it was so quickly historically overwhelmed by the subsequent WW2. Yet, it continued to have ripple effects on the development of Spain after WW2 all the way down to our times. Another war that has been almost completely buried by the conflagration of WW2 is the Japanese action in Asia, principally China and Korea, in the 1930's, resulting in the puppet state of Manchukuo. Who knows about that now? Yet, it still affects politics incredibly today, with the animosity and political friction between China and Japan resulting from it still causing diplomatic flare-ups that make our daily world news.

Quote:
You've got a full and rich life my friend.
Thank you. I think so. I like being me. Our mutual interest in this little hobby that brings us together on Gary's board only makes it richer.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM

I have many interests, and often hop from one pasttime to another, trying out different things. I like painting, reading, writing, and sewing, but they come and go. I do Mary Kay for fun and a little extra income. Currently, my favorite pursuits include hiking, cooking, yoga, and doing puzzle magazines or crosswords.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 AM
rangerboy

Interests

Adelina,

Crossword puzzles??? I love to do crosswords!!! One of the best I've seen is the one run every week in "American Way" the inflight magazine of American Airlines. I used to travel a lot on business and always looked forward to working that puzzle.

The New York Times puzzle is WAY over my skill level but the local Dallas paper runs a couple of good ones on weekdays and three on Sunday....in fact we're ice bound here in North Texas so.....I think I'll go sit by the fire and work a crossword.

thanks for posting

rb
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm more of a sudoku person myself. I've gotten really good at doing the difficult ones.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 PM
rangerboy

Question Sudoku

BV,

Never heard of sudoku....just Googled it.....wow...looks difficult. I'll bet you're good at abstract thinking and math....I'd think one would have to be to work those puzzles. I'm gonna try some of the easy ones and see how I do.

My wife was teasing me yesterday....."How is it that someone who thinks he's so smart is so lacking in common sense?" Hee Hee......wish I had a snappy comeback for that one.

rb