MySpankingForum.com  

Go Back   myspankingforum.com Forums > Off-Topic

Old 04-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Please help stop this senseless slaughter

The 2006 Canadian seal hunt left at least 354,344 seals dead -- almost all of them were babies as young as 12 days.

Today is the day that the 2007 seal hunt starts. Please help us to stop the seal hunt forever by joining the Canadian seafood and tourism boycott. https://community.hsus.org/campaign/protectseals/

Here is a link to a video that will show you what I am talking about. <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwxHAIA3X6M" height="350" width="425">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwxHAIA3X6M" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
</object>

Can you honestly watch this video and not feel upset and angry at what is going on? If it makes you angry then please use that anger constructively to help stop this madness once and for all.

Seal hunting is an off-season activity for Canada's east coast commercial fishermen. They earn a small fraction of their incomes from selling seal skins to the fur industry: only a reported $17.5 million (Canadian) annually, compared to the nearly $3 billion taken in by the Canadian fishing industry from seafood exports to the United States. The connection between the commercial fishing industry and the seal hunt gives consumers all over the world the power to end the cruel slaughter of seals.

The Canadian fishing industry has suffered a $350 million (Canadian) decline in the value of snow crab exports to the United States.

Once you've signed the pledge, you'll be able to identify Canadian seafood by using HSUS's downloadable pocket guide. You can also find out which restaurants and other businesses have also signed the pledge--and which ones to contact to ask them to sign on.

Thanks for joining me in ending this cruel hunt.

Here's a link to show you what you can do to help. http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/p...ou_can_do.html

Here is the email address of the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans of Canada: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
You can address it to the Honorable Loyola Hearn.

Please forward this message to everyone on your contact list. If you belong to any other forums then please post this message there if you are allowed, to help spread the word and increase pressure on the Canadian government to stop this senseless slaughter.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Even off-topic, I wonder if this qualifies more as an appeal/ad type of post, rather than a commentary of some kind?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM

I agree RG. Or maybe spam?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM

omg how sad
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM

How can you regard this post as spam? It's an important issue. Something that has been going on for years and needs to be stopped.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:34 PM

It seems to me that if the true concern is to stop seal hunting and expose those companies who practice it, that one would not be required to sign a pledge in order to receive the names of the fishing companies who partake in it, in order to "have the power" to stop it.

Perhaps not spam, but a solicitation. (That's what spam is tho, isn't it?)

sarah
Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Of all the things to try and rally support for on the planet right now I really don't think this is the wisest one to start with. Global warming will put an end to the seal hunt anyway. Or Haarp, or oil drilling. There are more then enough human beings getting clubbed to death around the world for us to worry about.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM

So what's the OTHER side of the story?

Humans have been killing and using animals for our benefit in various ways since the beginning of time. Is this something that just started in the last few decades, or have these seals been hunted and killed since people have populated these areas?

Sounds very PETA-ish to me.

(By the way, I had veal for dinner tonight -- baby cow for those who don't know.)

Do we want to open the forum up to every controversial favorite cause that spins someone's beanie propeller, and just turn this into one nasty, controversial, conflict ridden forum? What's YOUR favorite cause?

Against abortion? Why, let's appeal to the members to stop forever this killing of baby humans! The 2007 abortion season is already under way!

Or are you FOR abortion? Let's stop those right wing, extremist, radical, jack-booted oppressors of women's rights. The 2007 anti-abortion protesting season is already under way!

See what I mean?

Let's just keep it light and easy.

Let's keep
Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 AM

Lol. America has to look beyond it's own borders to uncover atrocities? I'm not so sure about that. Except in the case of Guantanamo lol. Someone should start a rumor that they beat the detainees with seal pups. That place would be closed in a heart beat.

Too bad most people arent as cute as baby seals.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM

I have cancelled my membership. I can respect people who don't want to have an opinion or who can come up with reasoned arguments but nobody here has. Everyone has either just focused on whether the message is spam or come up with sarcasm. Obviously most of you can't think beyond where your next spanking is coming from. You can reply however you like I won't be reading so won't really care. Good bye.