View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 PM

I find it interesting the accounts of people getting the school paddle in junior high or high school. I too attended a rural Southern school system but CP was never used beyond the elementary grades(1-7).
Paddlings also were for serious or repeated offenses. Our elementary principal was a tough but fair lady, and when anyone got paddled you knew they had really screwed up. She was not a big woman-but she could wield that Board of Education! i never had first hand experience-I was a pretty good(or chicken!) kid, but I knew of others getting it. One time this kid who was the son of another teacher in the county schools, and a bit of a bully-this was like sixth grade-was picking on another smaller kid at recess. Mrs S_ told him to leave him alone . He went back to doing it and when he was bent over with the smaller boy on the ground holding him by the neck she peppered the seat of his tightly stretched trousers with her paddle. He jumped up yelling in pain, and soon was headed inside the school building, blubbering and rubbing his injured bottom. Don't imagine he had fun sitting the rest of the day in school. Our principal did not tolerate bullying and picking on people.
Also, classroom teachers had the authority to spank. Some did and some did not. My fourth grade teacher used the switch,usually on the backs of the legs. Habitual failure to do homework sometimes meant the offender had to come to front of the class, roll up pants legs and take several cuts . She even used the switch on a couple of girls I recall. But it was very rare for a girl to get CP. Not sure I recall any case where one got the principal's paddle.
But will not say it never happened-and she would have done it she thought it appropriate for the offense.