View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM

OTK Clarification

Reading sarah post makes me realize that I probably need to clarify what I mean when I say "OTK" because I realize that what I think when I use it and what I think most others think is slightly different.

The OTK position that I prefer is not the more typical one of sitting in a chair with the recipient draped across your lap, legs hanging down one side of the lap and head and shoulders down the other. My preferred OTK position involves them laying acoss my lap onto something that will support their head and shoulders, i.e. a bed, a couch, etc. The bed that we typically use now is really too high, while it still works. Our couch is good, but is in the front room so the sound could possibly carry out to others. And a couple of times, as sarah noted, we have used two chairs put together so that she can lay across my lap onto the other chair.

There are a couple of reasons that I like this particular OTK position better. One is that it's actually easier to keep the recipient on your lap. A second is that, at least for some and certainly for sarah, it's both more comfortable for them and gives more of a sense of stability.