View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=rangerboy;2160]I especially like Alan Seeger...ah, he died so young.

Yes, he was one of three famous poets to die in WW1, the other two being John McRae, whom I mentioned, and Joyce Kilmer, who wrote, among other works, Trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy View Post
Did you know that was Pete Seeger's (folksinger) uncle?
Not a clue! I'm glad that you told me that. I forget which battle -- I think it was a minor action within a larger campaign--but Alan Seeger died during a charge in an attack, probably from machine gun fire. Given the content and nature of his poem that I mentioned, it makes the poem even more meaningful for me.

Quote:
You must love Band of Brothers....one of the greatest war movie series of all time.
You've got that right! It's just absolutely outstanding. It's in my collection, of course. I would love to see a work of that quality do the same thing with a Civil War regiment, i.e. trace it's entire war history, from formation through the end of the war.

Quote:
I'm very interested in the Spanish Civil War....I've even met a few of the vets...all in their 90's now.
Isn't that an interesting conflict? It seems almost lost to modern consciousness regarding history, I suppose because it was so quickly historically overwhelmed by the subsequent WW2. Yet, it continued to have ripple effects on the development of Spain after WW2 all the way down to our times. Another war that has been almost completely buried by the conflagration of WW2 is the Japanese action in Asia, principally China and Korea, in the 1930's, resulting in the puppet state of Manchukuo. Who knows about that now? Yet, it still affects politics incredibly today, with the animosity and political friction between China and Japan resulting from it still causing diplomatic flare-ups that make our daily world news.

Quote:
You've got a full and rich life my friend.
Thank you. I think so. I like being me. Our mutual interest in this little hobby that brings us together on Gary's board only makes it richer.