View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
jerseysweet

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanked~amber View Post
They had each shared their stockings complete with candy canes and chocolate Santa's. I was a proud and touched mommy that year for sure.
Amber,

This was beautiful. Your story made me cry! I remember something similar after my parents divorced. Every year my mom would put something for herself under the tree from Santa until we no longer believed in Santa. I am in college and like BlackVelvet, I couldn't imagine not being home for Christmas. I didn't go home for Thanksgiving, it's not that big of a holiday for my family, but Christmas has always been important to us.

Every year for the last 5-6 we buy, prepare, and serve all the food for a Christmas party for the families and children of single parent familes. There is a non profit organization which my family was a member of until about 7 years ago when my mom finally became able to stand on her feet securely. Now it's our turn to give back to them. I didn't know it when I was little but if it wasn't for this organization, our Christmases wouldn't have been as great as they were.

Another tradition we have is that we actually make the popcorn and cranberry strands. We hand string the plain popcorn and cranberries with needle and string and they go on the tree alternating with the blue christmas lights. That's how it's always been I cannot wait for Christmas. I get to go home in a week!