Thread: Pet Peeves
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 PM
rangerboy

Story on Myself

Gary and Amber,

Thanks for the feedback and comment.

With regards to "know-it-alls" I've got to tell this story on myself.

As you know, I spent a career in the Navy and had the good fortune on several occasions to find myself stationed in San Diego. (For those who have never been there, put it on your list of "things-to-do-before-I-die.")

Back in the late 1980's I was an avid fan of the sport of sailing and crewed with some winning amatuer crews in San Diego. We were pretty good...not great.....but good enough to have fun. Certainly not anywhere near good enough to consider professional competition but as I say we were pretty fair weekend sailors.

Through a friend of a friend, I was invited to the San Diego Yacht club for a cookout after a local regatta. I was about one beer away from being totally tanked when I started up a coversation with a guy at the bar. I began holding forth at great length about the sport of sailing and sharing various techniques for getting better speed and balance and on and on......

He was polite and listened to my babble for about five minutes before excusing himself.

When we were leaving, as I was passing through the lobby there was a photo of the 1987 America's Cup crew. Guess who was on the crew????? Yeah, the guy to whom I'd been running my mouth......

rangerboy